AUTHOR: Neal Shusterman
PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster
RELEASE DATE: November 8, 2022
GENRES: YA Fantasy, YA Dystopian
The New York Times bestselling Arc of the Scythe series continues with thrilling stories that span the timeline. Storylines continue. Origin stories are revealed. And new Scythes emerge!
There are still countless tales of the Scythedom to tell. Centuries passed between the Thunderhead cradling humanity and Scythe Goddard trying to turn it upside down. For years humans lived in a world without hunger, disease, or death with Scythes as the living instruments of population control.
Neal Shusterman—along with collaborators David Yoon, Jarrod Shusterman, Sofía Lapuente, Michael H. Payne, Michelle Knowlden, and Joelle Shusterman—returns to the world throughout the timeline of the Arc of a Scythe series. Discover secrets and histories of characters you’ve followed for three volumes and meet new heroes, new foes, and some figures in between.
Gleanings shows just how expansive, terrifying, and thrilling the world that began with the Printz Honor–winning Scythe truly is.
5 Reasons to Read Gleanings
- New glimpses into familiar characters’ lives
- I honestly adored all of these short stories, but my favorites were the ones that featured familiar faces (like Formidable!). I won’t go into details – for me, it was better when I was surprised about who showed up.
- The variety of stories and formats featured in the collection
- From poetry and novellas to short stories and different co-authors, this collection had me riveted every step of the way. Different timelines, different POVs (including first person), new characters, prequels, and beyond.
- More Thunderhead
- Need I say more? One of my favorites from the collection was a story that gives us more context to the society that came before the Thunderhead took over, and what that society and government looked like.
- Hint: it’s awesome.
- Broad genre offerings that have something for everyone
- One of the things I absolutely loved about the Arc of the Scythe was how the series managed to touch on so many genres. It was a YA fantasty/dystopian that also offered a hint of romance, a hint of horror, a hint of thriller. This collection does the same. Some of these stories truly creeped me out. Some had me laughing out loud.
- The Origin Stories
- OK, I said I won’t go into specifics on which characters return in this fantastic set, and I won’t. BUT. BUT. The origin stories in this collection are amazing and not to be missed. Origin stories for familiar faces and new characters. New scythes rise. You see how some existing scythes came about. And it is all spectacular.
Gleanings is not to be missed! Thank you so much to Turn the Page Tours and Simon and Schuster for providing me with an e-galley of this book. Return to the world of the Thunderhead on November 8. Add it to your Goodreads here.